Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wax Tablets

First let me just say that walking into my college and seeing my name on the High Honors list for the first time ever is just a great feeling. I'm getting straight A's for the first time in my life.

The wax tablets are done two weeks before they need to be done! They turned out better than I expected but not as good as I wanted. I'm particularly happy with how the stylus turned out. That was remarkably better than what I thought. I've started another set in oak for my friend Ian.
Here's what I learned:
1. Have good carving tools. I'm currently using some of Danr's. I may get a Dremel with a router attachment if I continue to do more.
2. Put in less wax than what you need. More can always be added later.
3. Make sure the tablets are warm before pouring in the wax. Otherwise the wax solidifies immediately.
4. Do not move the tablets after pouring the wax for at least an hour. Once the tablets have been heated up for about ten minutes at about 200 degrees, move the wax tablets to a LEVEL place. Then pour the wax. Don't pour the wax then move the tablets.
5. The carved out area in the tablets doesn't have to be level.
6. When drilling the holes for the binding, drill in from each side, not all the way through fom one side because the wood might splinter when you get to the other side.
7. Oak is not an easy material to carve by hand. Cedar is much better. Oak is a much harder material than cedar so it can take
more abuse.