Sunday, January 17, 2010

Damascus Knife




Week by week I am getting closer to finishing my first knife. It isn't the first one I've started, just the first one that I've actually finished. Several billets were repeatedly lost, misplaced, or finished by others. The pictures are dark, but that is so you can see the layers of the knife. There is some de-lamination on the top edge where I had the weld failure. You can't see it on the pictures. It was too deep to grind out so that will have to be filled in. The pits are also too deep to grind out so they will just be there. I've hit the polishing phase and am currently at 320 grit sandpaper. After all the polishing is done, the handle will be added and carved. The blade length is 4 5/8" long from tip 8" to shoulder and just under an inch at the widest part. The tang is 3 1/8". The handle will be between 3 1/8" and 3.5 inches once added.

Labels: