Monday, September 11, 2006

Minnesota Renaissance Festival


On Saturday Sep 9, I went to Fest. I wore my Flemish outfit. It was so cold, I wore my sleeves for the first time. Ever. I actually had fun this year. I did some goofing off and saw a couple of shows. I bought a custom made leather mask in black with gold highlights. I should have it by the end of the month. It will be very nice. I actually have pictures of me in the complete flemish outfit! I hate that hat with it though. I was wearing it too far forward.Now you can see it in all it's hand stitched glory. There is a purple stripe barely visible at the bottom, about 8 inches wide. I handstitched almost the entire outfit, except two seams and parts of the chemise. I was moonlighting as a security guard on the weekends for extra money and couldn't take sitting there with nothing to do. Here's the pic of me at the Secret Garden in front of the little waterfall they installed. Also, there's a lobster stuffed down the corner of the dress. That is what the red thing is, aka the bodice lobster. There is a lot weirder stuff than that at fest. I figured Why not?
The next picture is of the guy who washed my hands with rosewater, and that I later pinned. I gave him of the white glass headed pins from By My Hand Designs (shameless plug!). It's nearly invisible in the picture, but it's on the leg I'm holding up. If that guy ever checks this blog, I hope you like it. The lining of the over dress is visible in this picture because I have one side tucked up into my belt. I still hate that hat, and I need new sleeves, those have gotten too small.
In other project news, I'm working on a blackwork band for the winner of this year's silent auction blackwork prize from WW. I am doing a little work on my new Tudor corset. The front curve is too large so I'm making it smaller. It touches the seat of the chair when I sit, which makes sitting uncomfortable. I found the remainder of the wool from the aforementioned flemish outfit, so I can make a partlet. I wish I had one on Saturday because my chest was really cold, and I am one of the few people who can actually get sunburn on a cloudy day. It happened, and it is itchy. I finished the pirate outfit mostly. I need to add some more buttons on the cuffs. My friend Razz wore it, so it doesn't look as good on him as it would on me. I don't want to post a picture until I have one of me in it. I learned how to make hair pins at Danr's last Thursday, which will be donated to the gift baskets. I'll be finishing those this Thursday probably. Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll be making Danr's smithing apron for him out of white leather that I've had since Lillies. This weekend I'm putting cuffs on my new dearskin rapier gloves, if I find material I like to go with them, and I'll be adding some fur on them too. There might even be...some beads! If I don't do that, there will definitely be more blackwork done and more work on Tudor underpinnings. I want to start a hemp/rope corset to go with my Italian work dress but first I need to make the neckline square. I look better with square necks than I do with round, and that is how the neckline on the chemise turned out after I slip stitched on the band.