Saturday, July 21, 2007

Metal Styli


I made my first two metal styli for wax tablets. I took a piece of hair pin stock, cut it in half and flattened out each end. I was trying to point the other end by heating, but the pieces were just too small to hold on to and try to pound. I ended up using a bench grinder/sander to point the end. showed Nate (one of Danr's other students) how to make the points. One still may need a little more straightening. The stylus on the left is better. They are also too small to polish on a buffing wheel so that will need to be done with a Dremel. Here's a picture of those. If you want to see more, there's an earlier post with a wood stylus. Click on the image to see it better.


I went to get Harry Potter #7 last night. I didn't stay up all night to finish it. I dressed up as Ginny Weasley as a Hogwarts student, just for fun. What else can you do with long red hair? It got my picture taken a couple times. Since the lines were long, I took my blackwork with me. Several people were fascinated by it so I talked about that.

Before getting in line I went to look at the latest issue of Piecework. There is a brief review of The Tudor Tailor in it, which I've got already. I also found some information on Medieval/Renaissance embroidery from Lagartera, Spain that was influenced by Islamic Embroidery. I plan to find more on that. It combined satin stitch and the double running stitch. I didn't buy the magazine since the only pattern in it is something I wouldn't stitch.