Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lillies Report

I got back from Lillies on Sunday, 6/17/07. A good time was had by all. I really LOVED having the large shade fly G made for my wedge. Despite having a little trouble putting it up at first, and putting it up the wrong one, then putting it up the wrong way, it worked well. To change it the correct way took all of five minutes. The sun shade covers a larger area than the wedge itself, but I don't have a problem with that at all. What is really neat, is that it can be set up without the wedge, using the same the two 8 foot uprights from the wedge, and the two 6 foot uprights for the shade fly.
I spent lots of money. I bought 24 yards of fabric. I bought 10 yards of white linen, 5 yards each of rust colored and mint green linen, and 4 yards of a light weight striped cotton/linen blend. I also picked up my copy of The Art of Dining, with the painting of the waffle iron I'd like to make. One thing I'm really excited about is the copy of Scappi I bought. It is a 1570 Venetian cook book published by the Pope's chef, and it is on cd-rom. My collection of period cookbooks got much larger because of Lillies. I also got a 4 qt cast iron dutch oven for $13. It has 3 legs, and the lid can be used as a frying pan. That was by far the best bargain at Lillies.
All the stays were cut for my new Tudor corset at Lillies. I burned the ends of the stays (large plastic cable ties from Home Depot), so it is now ready to be closed and covered. I didn't do very much blackwork, and no smithing at all. I did take a class on making animal heads.
There will be a surprise for the Barony that I also picked up, but I can't say what it is. I'll post pictures later.