Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Three Days Journey

Master Ingus and I took a long trip to the north, during which I took became ill with the Bardic Madness.
Of the twelve challenges, I took part in five. I was also patroness for Blow Someone Else's Horn. They were:
The Ensemble Tale
The Oakhart Challenge
Brought to You by the Number 3
Quod Libet
Royal Challenge

I do not have anything written down from The Ensemble Tale. That is done on the spot.
For Quod Libet, I argued for snow (I like cross country skiing), and threw in why I'd like to live in Mistig Waetru just for fun.

For the Oakhart Challenge, I covered what England thought of Spain from about 1500-1600 in a few sentences:
We don't want your daughter.
Yes, please give us your daughter.
Now we're going to treat her poorly.
We hate you, and we're going to sink all your ships.

In Brought to You by the Number 3, I wrote a riddle in a sort of rhymed triplet about three objects I use and offered a prize to the winner. Someone solved it in a couple minutes, and I'll let the gentle reader guess what they are:
These three objects I use,
We can be of metal or wood
So here is a riddle, I pray it will amuse

The first is of metal, long and light
Cutting bone and slicing flesh
A new one that is useful in a fight

The second is sharp and small
Fibers go through me which I decorate
Much used and seen, held in hand by all

With the third I strike a solid blow
Metal on metal on metal
While a hot fire burns and glows

Guess what are we three
Think on this and solve the riddle
And a prize yours will be.

For the Royal Challenge, I wrote a lullaby that can be sung in a round. Over the next couple weeks, I will be working on writing this in period notation and will put a copy up here. Special thanks to Ysolt for giving a class on writing period chants, because the tune was written with hints from that class. Another thing I like to do at Bardic Madness is take a class and use what I learn to write a new piece. This is the first song I've ever written:
Griffin's Lullaby
Bid ye rest lay down your head
Far from home or in your bed
Dream of griffins, stars so bright
Dream you of Northshield this night.


All of the above was written on site. I typically do not write anything ahead of time, or even read the challenges until I get there.

Labels: