Monday, February 04, 2008

The Table

I spent a few hours at Danr's today working on my trestle table. He helped me build the top. I'm using the recycled barn boards from G finally. I know I've had them at least a year and couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with them until recently. I had to hand plane down one of the pieces a lot, and that is not easy work. My arms hurt a little from that.
The table is going to fit together with wood pegs only, no metal and it will last longer. It will have an epoxy finish on it, so that won't be period. The only reason I decided on that is because there are holes and cracks that I'd like filled in. I'm going to use this table for cooking mostly, and I want the table to be easy to clean. That way, food bits also won't get stuck in the little cracks. The next step is to sand the top. I'm using a belt sander for this, but I might do the final sanding before the epoxy by hand.

For those who did not know, TJ is going on his third week back at work and is very happy about that. He cannot walk without the air cast on his leg though, but he can walk. The ankle will never be as flexible as it was before because of the pins and plates in it. I'll likely be down there later this month.

I read the post about Ages of War today. I can't wait to go! If the site plans become definite, it will be in my hometown about a mile from my parent's house. Guess where I'd be staying. I also read about the A&S Competition, and the later period Europe is right up my alley, so I guess I'd better begin planning a project. I think it would be fun to do something with food. Speaking of food, my last batch of candied orange peels were slightly burned. I think the honey got too hot too fast, and I didn't stir enough.

Labels: , ,